Bonjour mes amis! My name is Ossama Nasrallah and I am your SMUSA President & CEO. I am an international student from Lebanon in my fourth year of a marketing degree with the Sobey School of Business. I look forward to building stronger relationships with the university administration, provincial and federal government, other students’ associations and, most importantly, with each of you. Representing you and advocating for your wants and needs is my number one priority. Together we will make a more progressive university experience in terms of mental health, accessibility and communication. My door is always open, please come visit!
- Responsible for advancing the best interests of the Association and its membership alongside objectives determined by the Board from time-to-time
- Held accountable for the overall success and wellbeing of the Association by the Board
- Acts as the official representative and primary spokesperson for the students
- Primary delegate of the federal lobbying group and member of the provincial lobbying group
- Member of the Academic Senate and Board of Governors
- Responsible and accountable for student representatives
- Serves as the primary representative on the University’s budget advisory committee
Monday: 11am – 4pm
Tuesday: 11am – 2:30pm & 3.45pm – 5pm
Wednesday: 11am – 4pm
Thursday: 11am – 2:30pm & 3.45pm – 5pm
Friday: 11am – 4pm
Vice President Advancement
E: [email protected]
Hello SMUdents! My name is Dénis Amirault and I am excited to be your Vice President Advancement for the 2018/2019 academic year. I am entering into the 3rd year of my marketing degree, having already completed a biology degree at Acadia University. I look forward to advancing your interests throughout the year, and advocating on your behalf to make your university experience as affordable, accessible, student driven, and of the highest quality possible.
- Represents and advances external interests of students
- Serves on provincial and federal advocacy groups (Students Nova Scotia and the Canadian Alliance of Student Associations)
- Serves on the University’s Board of Governors
- Aids in the development, organization and execution of special projects and campaigns
Vice President Student Affairs
E: [email protected]
Hello fellow Huskies, my name is Mary Navas and I will be your 2017-2018 Vice President Student Affairs! I am currently a business student in the Sobey School of Business studying Entrepreneurship and Marketing. I am aware student life on campus is important for us SMUdents and that is why I am excited to enhance student activities around Saint Mary’s University for all incoming and current students. If you have any ideas in mind do not hesitate to contact me, and if you see me around campus I will love to hear from each one of you. Remember this is your campus and we also want it to be your home.
- Responsible for SMUSA student societies
- Acts as the Welcome Week Coordinator for Fall and Winter Welcome Weeks
- Schedules and plans student events throughout the year
- Designs and prepares the “Orientation Pack” for new students
- Oversees Welcome Week Pack Leaders
- Maintains a volunteer-database
- Staffs information tables or booths for SMUSA initiatives
- Records, maintains and validates volunteer hours for students’ Co-Curricular Records (CCR)
Mahmudur Rahman Shovon
Vice President Academic
E: [email protected]
Hello everyone! My name is Mahmudur Rahman Shovon and I am your Vice President Academic for the year. I am in the final year of my degree, majoring in Finance with a minor in Political Science. This year I aim to create the best academic experience for different student groups on campus and work with the university to improve the Academic Regulations and make them more equitable. Feel free to reach out to me if you need or want to be a tutor, require funding for your experiential learning endeavours and for any other needs. I’m always happy to talk!
- Member of the Academic Senate and various committees
- Manages the tutor database and book exchange group
- Oversees the Experiential Learning Fund
- Carries out research and develops recommendations/solutions for academic issues
- Serves on the University’s Budget Advisory Committee
- Chair of the SMUSA Academic Committee
- Helps students with Discipline Appeals, Grade Appeals and other academic issues
- Spearheads academic events and initiatives from SMUSA
Full-Time Operations Staff
[email protected] / 902-496-8702
The General Manager is the senior full-time employee of the Association. As such they act as the policy and financial advisor, administrator of daily operations and planner of long range objectives. They provide aid to the Association treasurer in preparing the annual budget and oversee adherence to operational timelines. The General Manager reports directly to the President & CEO.
[email protected] / 902-496-8703
Oversees the operations of the Students’ Association including the Gorsebrook, Liquor Services, the Information Desk, Husky Patrol and the UPASS distribution. Manages a staff of close to 70 students; including student managers, coming from all over the world ranging from being in their first year to grad students. Working with SMUSA is a great way to gain work experience, earn extra money and meet new friends. Hiring is generally done in March for the following year but opportunities do come up so keep an eye out for openings as they do arise at any time.
Payroll & Accounts Manager
[email protected] / 902-496-8704
The Accounting & Payroll Manager is responsible for everything from bi-weekly payroll for 80-100 employees, accounts payable and receivable, and budgeting, to preparing T4’s, confirmation of earnings/employment letters, preparing cash deposits, and preparing the annual audit.
Health Plan Administrator
[email protected] / 902-496-8754
The primary purpose of the Health Plan Coordinator position is to coordinate the daily activity of the Student Health Plan Office and to support the Student Health Plan Committee.
The focus is on providing information and guidance to students while promoting the plan, providing benefits information and processing claims.
[email protected] / 902-496-8700
The primary purpose of this position is to administratively assist the General Manager and Executive team.
A focus on ensuring that all above mentioned positions are supported. The Administrative Assistant will take the initiative to identify when any SMUSA office is in requirement of assistance.
E: [email protected]