Husky Patrol is a SMUSA service created with the purpose of providing a free and safe drive to and from the University campus for SMU students, faculty and staff.
How to Get a Ride
Husky Patrol can drive students, faculty and staff to and from campus. Here’s how to get a ride:
- On-Campus: Go to the SMUSA Information Desk, located on the 1st floor of the O’Donnell Hennessey Student Centre, and present your valid SMU student ID.
- Off-Campus: For an off-campus pick-up, call the Information Desk at 902-496-8713, and have your valid SMU student ID ready at pick-up.
*Please note: At 11:45pm, Husky Patrol will stop taking pick-ups and drop-offs, but will continue to service all students who previously signed up at the Information Desk before this time. There is no smoking, drinking or eating in the vans. Intoxicated passengers will not be permitted in the vans.
Husky Patrol operates during the following dates and times:
Husky Patrol is currently closed for the summer months.
|Sunday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
|Monday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
|Tuesday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
|Wednesday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
|Thursday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
|Friday||6:30 pm - 12:00 am|
*Please note: Husky Patrol does not operate on Saturdays or during holidays. Husky Patrol closure due to weather is at the discretion of the Association.
“Rules of the Road”
- All passengers must have a valid Saint Mary’s Student, Staff, or Faculty ID.
- No smoking in the van(s).
- Passengers are not permitted to have open food or beverages in the van(s).
- Passengers must wear seat belts at all times while in the van(s).
- Passengers are not permitted to use profane language, be disruptive, or abusive physically or verbally towards the driver, security, or other passengers.
- Husky Patrol does not do pick-ups or drop-offs at liquor stores, bars/clubs, or restaurants unless you can provide proof of employment.
- Passengers are not permitted to transport alcohol in the van(s).
- Husky Patrol does not do house-to-house pick-ups. Passengers must either be going to or leaving the university.
- Passengers with bags/backpacks, etc..are permitted as long as they do not interfere with other passengers’ safety or comfort.
- Passengers who have reached the point of intoxication will not be permitted in the van(s).
- Please refer to the “Service Area Map” for the boundaries of Husky Patrol.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
If the weather is stormy, will Husky Patrol still be in service?
This is decided by the Husky Patrol Manager by taking a number of safety factors into consideration. Usually, the Information Desk staff will know by about 4:30 pm that day if the service will be running or not. Please call 902-496-8713 to find out. If the service is cancelled for the night, the Information Desk will close at 9 pm.
What if I'm a SMU student and my friend is not? Can they come with me in the van?
Unfortunately, no. Husky Patrol is a service strictly for Saint Mary’s students, staff and faculty only.
I lost my Student ID, can I still take Husky Patrol?
Only if you can show your registration receipt and another form of ID. Other than that, you have to go to the Library and get another Saint Mary’s Student ID issued.
Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns about Husky Patrol, contact Graeme or Danielle! For pick-ups, please call the Information Desk at 902-496-8713.
Husky Patrol Manager