What is the U-Pass?
The Halifax Transit U-Pass is a sticker that will go on your student ID to provide full-time students with unlimited access to Halifax Transit for the academic year, from September 1st to April 30th. If you are registered as a full-time student during this period, the fee for this service is automatically charged to your student account.
Summer U-Pass (May-August)
We also offer a U-Pass for the Spring and Summer semesters! Students who are registered for 2 or more on-campus spring and summer session courses are eligible for the Summer U-Pass sticker, which provides unlimited access to Halifax Transit during the summer months, from May 1st to August 31st.
What’s So Great About U-Pass?
You'll Save Money
Students using the U-Pass instead of buying monthly Student MetroPasses can save over $60 each month, which is close to $500 per school year.
Halifax Transit helps you get around the city by providing you access to bus and ferry services. You can also use Transit to get you to the airport (for an additional $2 fee)!
Car Owners Save Money Too
The U-Pass can help you reduce your fuel, parking, insurance, and maintenance expenses. Plus, you can let someone else worry about the traffic.
It's Good for the Environment
Choosing public transit instead of driving your own car reduces air pollution. One bus can help remove up to 50 cars from the road at any point in time, reducing air pollution by 15-20 percent.
Frequently Asked Questions
I applied to get my student ID and need to access transit, but haven't heard back from the library. What do I do?
Starting October 1st, we will now be giving away October bus passes for you to use until your ID card is ready!
This means that, if you have NOT opted out of the U-Pass and don’t have your Student ID card yet, you can get the October Bus Pass from us until the ID card is ready! Once your ID is ready, you can pick-up your card and U-Pass sticker at the SMUSA Info Desk as long as you hand in the October bus pass you were using.
Where can I get my U-Pass sticker?
- You can now pick up your U-Pass at the SMUSA Information Desk, located on the first floor of the Student Centre! Operating hours are:
- Monday, September 14: 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Tuesday, September 15: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, September 16: 4:00pm – 9:00pm
- Monday, September 21: 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Tuesday, September 22: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Monday, September 28: 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Tuesday, September 29: 1:00pm-5:00pm
- Wednesday, September 30: 12:00pm – 9:00pm
- Thursday, October 1st: 9:00am – 1:00pm
- Friday, October 2nd: 9:00am – 1:00pm
- You must bring your student ID card and wear a mask. If you have any questions, please contact [email protected]!
What if my student ID becomes lost, stolen or destroyed?
- To replace your student ID, visit the Circulation Services Desk, located in the Patrick Power Library. Please note that there is a $15.00 administration charge to replace your student ID.
- To get a replacement U-Pass sticker, visit the SMUSA office, located on the 5th floor of the O’Donnell Hennessey Student Centre. Please note that there is a $25.00 administration charge for the first loss of your U-Pass, and an additional $50.00 replacement fee for the second loss. Subsequent replacement costs are the full fee.
Who is eligible for the U-Pass?
U-Pass (September – April)
- You need a student ID to receive a U-Pass.
- All full-time students (registered in 3 or more on-campus courses per semester) automatically have the U-Pass fee added onto their student account for the fall and winter semesters.
- Students who are registered in fewer than 3 courses in the fall semester but are registered in 3 or more on-campus courses in the winter semester are only charged for the U-Pass from January to April.
- Part-time students are not automatically enrolled for this service. You can opt-in by contacting Karla Hodge at [email protected].
Summer U-Pass (May 1st – August 31st)
- Students enrolled in 2 or more on-campus courses during the spring session (May-June) automatically have the Summer U-Pass fee added to their student account.
- Students enrolled in 1 on-campus course during the spring session (May-June), and 1 on-campus course during the summer session (July-August) are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must opt-in to the Summer U-Pass program at the Service Centre.
- Students enrolled in 2 or more on-campus courses during the summer session (July-August) are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must also opt-in to the program at the Service Centre.
- Graduate students are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must also opt-in to the program at the Service Centre.
- You need a student ID to receive a Summer U-Pass.
How do I opt-out of the U-Pass fee?
If you are not going to be in the Halifax area and unable to access this service, you have the option to opt-out of the U-Pass fee. If you wish to opt-out, please send an email to Karla Hodge at [email protected] Please provide your student ID number and indicate that you wish to opt-out.
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities who use the Access-A-Bus are eligible to use this program. Students associated with the Fred Smithers Centre are also eligible. However, they must present a form from the Fred Smithers Centre confirming that they are considered to be full-time students in order to receive a U-Pass. They must also be enrolled in spring/summer session courses in order to receive a Summer U-Pass.
Appropriate Use of your U-Pass
It is illegal to loan, sell, or otherwise transfer your U-Pass/Summer U-Pass in any manner to any other person. Halifax Transit will confiscate U-Passes that are not used specifically by the student whose picture appears on the student ID card.
Bus schedules and route maps can be found at the SMUSA Information Desk, located on the 1st floor of the O’Donnell Hennessey Student Centre, and on information posts at campus bus stops. For further transit schedule and route information, please visit the Halifax Transit website, or download their app.
Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns about our SMUSA U-Pass and Summer U-Pass programs, contact Karla!