What is the U-Pass?
The Halifax Transit U-Pass is a sticker that will go on your student ID to provide full-time students (registered for 3+ classes each semester) with unlimited access to Halifax Transit for the academic year, from September 1st to April 30th. If you are registered as a full-time student during this period, the fee for this service is automatically charged to your student account.
Summer U-Pass (May-August)
We also offer a U-Pass for the Spring and Summer semesters! Students who are registered for 2 or more on-campus spring and summer session courses are eligible for the Summer U-Pass sticker, which provides unlimited access to Halifax Transit during the summer months, from May 1st to August 31st.
What’s So Great About U-Pass?
You'll Save Money
Students using the U-Pass instead of buying monthly Student MetroPasses can save over $60 each month, which is close to $500 per school year.
Halifax Transit helps you get around the city by providing you access to bus and ferry services. You can also use Transit to get you to the airport (for an additional $2 fee)!
Car Owners Save Money Too
The U-Pass can help you reduce your fuel, parking, insurance, and maintenance expenses. Plus, you can let someone else worry about the traffic.
It's Good for the Environment
Choosing public transit instead of driving your own car reduces air pollution. One bus can help remove up to 50 cars from the road at any point in time, reducing air pollution by 15-20 percent.
Frequently Asked Questions
Where can I get my U-Pass sticker and what are the operating hours?
You can now pick up your U-Pass at the SMUSA Information Desk, located on the first floor of the Student Centre! The Info Desk’s operating hours are:
• 10am-4pm from Aug. 27 to Sept. 3
• 9am-6pm from Sept. 4-10
• 9am-12am on Monday-Friday, from Sept. 13 to Oct. 1
• 6pm-12am every Sunday starting Sept. 12
You must bring your student ID card and wear a mask. If you have any questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org!
Is there a different U-Pass sticker for the Winter term?
If you already got your U-Pass sticker in the Fall term, the same sticker is used for the full academic year. If you are starting in the Winter term, you can pickup your U-Pass sticker at the SMUSA Info Desk, located on the 1st floor of the Student Centre!
Can I opt-out of the U-Pass for Fall 2021?
- If you’re not on campus this term, you can opt-out. Please send your request to email@example.com with your name and student ID number (A#). The deadline to opt-out is September 25.
What if my student ID becomes lost, stolen or destroyed?
- To replace your student ID, visit the Circulation Services Desk, located in the Patrick Power Library. Please note that there is a $15.00 administration charge to replace your student ID.
- To get a replacement U-Pass sticker, visit the SMUSA office, located on the 5th floor of the O’Donnell Hennessey Student Centre. Please note that there is a $25.00 administration charge for the first loss of your U-Pass, and an additional $50.00 replacement fee for the second loss. Subsequent replacement costs are the full fee.
Who is eligible for the U-Pass?
U-Pass (September – April)
- You need a student ID to receive a U-Pass.
- All full-time students (registered in 3 or more on-campus courses per semester) automatically have the U-Pass fee added onto their student account for the fall and winter semesters.
- All students registered at the Fred Smithers Centre are eligible. Please pick up a letter from the Fred Smithers Office and bring it to the SMUSA office on the 5th floor, where you can pick up your U-Pass.
- Students who are registered in fewer than 3 courses in the fall semester, but are registered in 3 or more on-campus courses in the winter semester are only charged for the U-Pass from January to April.
Summer U-Pass (May 1st – August 31st)
- Students enrolled in 2 or more on-campus courses during the spring session (May-June) automatically have the Summer U-Pass fee added to their student account.
- Students enrolled in 1 on-campus course during the spring session (May-June), and 1 on-campus course during the summer session (July-August) are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must opt-in to the Summer U-Pass program at the Service Centre.
- Students enrolled in 2 or more on-campus courses during the summer session (July-August) are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must also opt-in to the program at the Service Centre.
- Graduate students are also eligible for the Summer U-Pass. However, they must also opt-in to the program at the Service Centre.
- You need a student ID to receive a Summer U-Pass.
Students with Disabilities
Students with disabilities who use the Access-A-Bus are eligible to use this program. Students associated with the Fred Smithers Centre are also eligible. However, they must present a form from the Fred Smithers Centre confirming that they are considered to be full-time students in order to receive a U-Pass. They must also be enrolled in spring/summer session courses in order to receive a Summer U-Pass.
Appropriate Use of your U-Pass
It is illegal to loan, sell, or otherwise transfer your U-Pass/Summer U-Pass in any manner to any other person. Halifax Transit will confiscate U-Passes that are not used specifically by the student whose picture appears on the student ID card.
Bus schedules and route maps can be found at the SMUSA Information Desk, located on the 1st floor of the O’Donnell Hennessey Student Centre, and on information posts at campus bus stops. For further transit schedule and route information, please visit the Halifax Transit website, or download their app.
Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
If you have any additional questions, comments, or concerns about our SMUSA U-Pass and Summer U-Pass programs, contact Karla!