The purpose of the SMUSA Experiential Learning fund is to benefit our student members’ interests or achievements. The funding will be used to further the student in educational activities that bring constructive development to the students learning experience. Events must also be in the interest of the Saint Mary’s University Community.
Common examples of funding requests would include:
- Academic Conferences
- Academic-based competitions
- Volunteer opportunities
- Experiential Society trips: Model UN, Peaceful Schools, Habitat for Humanity, etc.
Students MUST meet the following criteria:
- Provide a letter to the Saint Mary’s University Students’ Association (SMUSA) explaining how this funding will:
- Further benefit the individual’s academics or personal growth.
- Contribute to the reputation of SMUSA or SMU.
- Provide detailed documentation of the pursuit:
- Event itinerary
- Letter of acceptance (or equivalent)
- Transportation confirmation (if applicable)
- Provide a detailed budget with expected costs associated with participation.
- Provide a completed SMUSA Experiential Learning Fund Form.
The maximum amount of funding that will be granted per application is $200. Per academic year, a student is eligible for a maximum of $500 in funding. SMUSA will assess each application individually and cannot guarantee full maximum funding for each student.
SMUSA will not consider funding for:
- The pursuit of displaying or demonstrating academic ability or achievement or furthering the development of an individual’s Santamarian values on behalf of a student.
- Capital purchases, maintenance, travel visas, or vaccinations.
- Pursuits that have already taken place.
- Tuition-related costs or required curricular activity for SMU. This includes study abroad programs, fieldwork, and research.
In certain cases, successful applicants may need to sign an activity waiver at SMUSA’s request.
In order to receive funding, students must be willing to share content from their experiential learning opportunities with SMUSA. This can include photos, videos, or a written summary.
Questions, Comments, or Concerns?
Have questions about the Experiential Learning Fund, how to apply, or are curious if you are eligible, contact Abbie for more information!